Showing your girlfriend how much you care about her while also making her feel safe can seem confusing to some men. That is sometimes a conundrum with women, who on one hand want to be viewed as independent yet want to feel protected and safe in the presence of their man. Relationships are all about the emotional security that a person craves for. Whether you’re male or female, it’s obvious to seek comfort when being in a relationship. When you’re in the initial stages of a relationship, feeling comfy, and glad to be around the one you love it is quite obvious that your girlfriend feels emotionally safe and secure. But to make your bond long-lasting, it’s crucial that you both feel the zenith of security with each other. As a man, there are several steps you can take as a boyfriend to make your woman feel protected without compromising her independence. Listed below is an abrupt list which can help you build a relationship that is emotionally secure and peaceful for both of you!
How To Make Your Girlfriend Feel Secure & Protected
1. Listen To Her – In order to make sure your girlfriend feels safe, she needs to know that you’re listening to her. When she talks, she needs to be sure that you’re actually paying attention to her and understanding what she is saying and feeling. You might be inclined to think you need to “fix” her to make her feel safe. In reality, all she really wants you to do is listen to her and let her know that you’re there for her. So, the next time your girlfriend opens up to you, sit down and pay attention. Hold her hand, empathize with her feelings, and confirm that you hear her and are there for her.
2. Follow Through – Are you one of those people who doesn’t always do what you say you’re going to do? Your intentions are good, but things get in the way of you following through. Do you tell your girlfriend that you’ll be home at 6PM, even if you know you’re not going to be home until 8PM because you don’t want to make her mad? People don’t follow through for a variety of reasons. Very few of them are because we don’t love someone. We do it to prevent our partner from feeling hurt or let down. It’s not because we don’t love our partner enough – we’re only human and we forget things. Unfortunately, people tend to personalize the experience when someone doesn’t do something for them. So, if you’re not going to follow through – regardless of the reason – you definitely won’t make your girlfriend feel secure. Instead, you will make her feel unimportant and unloved.
3. Use Your Words – Have you ever thought to yourself, “I don’t need to tell her how I feel about her, she knows”? Do you take out the garbage faithfully, assuming that by doing so your girlfriend will know you love her? If you answered “yes” to these questions, you’re wrong! Telling your woman how you feel about her is a key component in making her feel safe and protected. She might have a sense of how you feel, but to actually hear the words come out of your mouth lets her know that you have her back, and that you care about her enough to tell her. She knows that she can count on you to be there for her.
4. Be A Man – Yes, I know that in this day and age, men and women are equal. But the truth of the matter is, men can make women feel safe just by acting like themselves. Men are genetically programmed to be protectors. The survival of the species depended on men protecting their women and children from predators. That instinct is not gone in this 21st-century world. Now, I’m not saying that you need to brandish your club and knock down anyone who messes with your girl. But, make sure that she knows that you’re there to reach the things that she can’t reach, to carry that load that is just too much for her, to hold the door open when her hands are full, and to get rid of that dead mouse the cat dragged in. Tap into your inner caveman without letting him take you over completely, and allow your girl to feel safe.
5. Be Honest – One of the best ways to make your girlfriend feel protected is by simply being honest. Although it’s important to always do what you say you’re going to do, there’s more to it than just that. For a woman to feel safe, she needs to trust you. If you can’t be honest with her, she can never trust you. So, if you can’t get home for for dinner, tell her. If you need to see your mother instead of going out with her friends, don’t make an excuse – tell her the truth. Making sure that your girlfriend feels safe, secure, and loved in a relationship is the best way to ensure that it will be a healthy and happy one. Listen to her, do what you say you’re going to do, tell her how you feel about her, protect her, and be honest to her.
No matter what type of relationship you are entering, trust is the building block of a healthy relationship and is how you can ultimately make your girlfriend feel secure around you. Tell her what you feel and what your priorities are, even if she is not on top of it. She might feel a bit upset, but will appreciate your actions. Telling her your actual problems will let her know that she is important to you and you can share all of your insecurities with her. This will assist you in building an intense emotional relationship with her that will not only make her feel secure, but also an essential element of your life.