So, you’ve met someone new and you seem to click instantly. You begin to spend tremendous amounts of time together and quickly form a friendship that leaves you wondering how you ever got through life without this person. One day they’re your friend, but the next they are someone you can’t stop yourself from thinking about. Sure, we’ve all heard about love at first sight, but what about the love which suddenly dings into your heart without any warning from one day to the next? How does someone know when that friendship turns into something more romantic? In the beginning, it might be hard for you to admit that you’ve crossed the limits of being just friends. But once it grows beyond those lines of friendship, the romantic feelings for each other can look beautiful and irresistible. Friends who swore they were just friends fall in love all the time. It just takes the time for each of them to realize the change has occurred. Listed below are 8 revealing signs that you’re in love with your best friend!
Signs You Are In Love With Your Best Friend
1. You Aren’t Interested In Dating Anyone Else – Look at your life outside of your best friend. Are you seeing or growing feelings for anyone else? Are you making an effort to meet anyone else? If you’re lonely, but can still swipe through an entire swatch of Tinder matches or scan an entire bar without any interest, then there might be something bigger going on besides not being able to find anyone. You could be in a rut. You could be really searching for just that one right person. Or, it could be one sign that you’re actually in love with your best friend, and everyone else just pales in subconscious comparison.
2. You Get Shy Around Them – Once you are genuinely growing romantic feelings for your best friend, you might withhold information or get shy when they talk to you. You might not be sure at first, but slowly the magic of love in the fresh air beholds you, and your feelings for them get stronger.
3. You Think About Them Often – When you spend a lot of time with someone, you begin to think about them often. This could be in the form of a simple daydream, or thoughts about them that keep coming to you during your day to day activities. Constantly thinking about your best friend, reflecting on your conversations and time spent together is a pretty worthy sign of attraction. Most of the time, these thoughts could just be running through your mind without you ever really noticing them. So the next time you find yourself mentally drawn to your best friend, just think about the fact that it could mean they might be more than just a friend to you.
4. You Start Finishing Each Other’s Sentences – You basically know what your friend will say by facial expressions, before any words are ever uttered. Sometimes you can talk to each other simultaneously, all the while listening and responding to the statements and questions being exchanged between you. To the outside world, it sounds like you’re interrupting each other. To the two of you, it’s just how you naturally converse.
5. You Would Do Anything For Them – Think of all the things you would go out of your way to do for your second closest friend. Now, think of all the things you would do for your best friend. Is there a huge disparity between the two? Are you willing to make significantly more sacrifices for your best friend than you would for someone else? Do you ever get pleasure or excitement from making those sacrifices for them? Driving a long way to see them, bringing them lunch on a whim, buying them something special. If these are things you often like to do for your best friend, then you may very well be in love.
6. You Are Comfortable Being Vulnerable Around Them – Is this person your go-to during rough times? Are they your rock during the rain? When you are really close to someone, you feel comfortable being vulnerable. You feel that they are your safe zone to vent out your feelings in the most honest way and express your inner concerns about basically anything. This deep level of intimate understanding can be a huge sign of something that goes beyond a platonic friendship. Of course not in all cases, but some. So pay closer attention to your vulnerable moments together. The way this person takes the time to listen to you, and provides you guidance can mean a lot more than you would think.
7. You Don’t Like Sharing Them With Other Friends – The closer you get to realizing that you’re in love with your best friend, the more jealousy will start to rise up and make itself known. It’s a definite sign that you want something more than just friendship when you start wanting to monopolize your best friend’s time. Whether you realize it or not, inside you want to be with them, and that physical reaction, that knot of jealousy, when they hang out with other people you feel in competition with, is a clear indicator of what’s going on inside. We really only expect that sole kind of attention from someone we want to be in a relationship with.
8. You Are Very Involved In Their Life – One final sign that you are falling for your best friend is if you are highly involved in their life. Not in an overbearing way, but in a way which you just know what they are going through at the moment. Their ups and downs, their past struggles, their current joys, you’re usually a part of everything – or at least aware of most of it. You go out of your way to make time for them, and you would drop everything to go see them if they need you. This could go beyond a platonic friendship, it could be a great start to a beautiful, sustainable relationship. So it would be a good time to be open to taking this relationship further than where you’re currently at.
Going from being friends to being in a relationship together is a big step for both parties involved. The fact is, when you’re emotionally and physically comfortable with someone, as best friends usually are, there’s no way to subvert the natural growth of deeper feelings. All you have to do is finally see it: recognize those urges, take the plunge and date your best friend! Your life is probably going to change in several different ways, hopefully with them feeling the same, and hopefully in only the best of ways.