Did you know a relationship can make your life happier and healthier? Lots of research has been done over this topic and it’s been proven accurate time and time again. But, before you can reach that stage with someone special, you have to meet and officially start dating them. Going on a date can present a wide array of different feelings ranging from excitement to anxiousness. When it comes to dating at this day in age, getting the first date isn’t the hard part for most. Instead, it’s actually sitting down and having that first real conversation with someone. Don’t even think about chemistry – What you ask and say to the other person will be the deciding factor in whether the relationship will make it to date number two or not. Easy and organic conversations are obviously best, but can also be difficult when you’re feeling a little nervous. Thankfully, we have the right solution for both men and women! We’ve gone out and compiled a list of seven great conversation starters which you can use on your next date to make things go a little smoother. These topics are easy to talk about, but can also pull new information out of the person you’re dating so you can get to know them better. Remember, going on a first date with a stranger is a bit like meeting strangers at a party or friendly gathering – You don’t want to bring up topics like money, politics, religion or your ex!
Great Conversation Questions To Use On A Date
1. Who are the most important people in your life? – Pay close attention to how your date answers this question. Most people should have an instant reaction with something like “my parents” or “my kids.” In addition to understanding the other person better, this question allows you to assess his or her ability to form close relationships.
2. What makes you laugh? – You can search and easily find over one hundred different studies about dating. A good sense of humor will likely rank within the top 5 of every single study you find. No matter what stage of life they’re in, single men and women tend to want a partner who can bring levity and lightness to the relationship. Discovering the kinds of things that make your partner laugh will tell you more about their personality and outlook on life.
3. Do you read reviews, or just go with your gut? – It may seem like a strange question, but this helps you understand differences and similarities all within one simple query. Some people can’t visit the movies without reading multiple reviews first. Others will buy a brand new vehicle without doing a single bit of research first. Find out which side your date belongs in, and then you can admit if you read restaurant reviews before making date reservations.
4. What do your Saturdays usually look like? – How people spend their down-time says a lot about them. If she works on her day off, she might be highly career-oriented, or maybe just a workaholic. If he spends the day coaching his kids’ soccer team, it’s a good bet he loves sports, enjoys kids and wants to help other people excel. If he watches TV and plays video games all day, you could have a couch potato on your hands. This question is a must, considering not all of your time spent together in a long term relationship can be picture perfect.
5. What’s the most interesting job you’ve ever had? – No matter where your partner is in the career ladder, chances are your date will have had at least one unusual or interesting job that won’t mind telling you about. It also gives you the chance to share more information about your own fascinating work experiences. Although it’s a little lighthearted, this first date question gives your could-be partner the opportunity to exercise their storytelling abilities.
6. What’s your signature drink? – After your introduction and the initial awkward hug, this is the opening question that should follow. Though it might not lead to a long conversation, it does help you understand their personality a little better. Does she always order the same drink? Is he addicted to fair trade coffee? Does the bartender know to bring a gin and tonic to the table before you order? Talking about beverages is always a great way to break the ice!
7. What’s your most valuable possession? – This unique first date question can give you a better insight on your date’s priorities, passions and pursuits. Maybe it’s a photograph, maybe a classic car. It could even be a tiny trinket that represents a cherished person or memory. Putting your date on the spot might make the first answer an awkward one, so it’s usually best to wait and ask this question a little bit later on.