I’m pretty sure that when you initially started dating your partner the two of you didn’t sit down and analyze what you each felt the standards were of being a good father. There was likely no list that you each went through, checking off the good and bad. It’s perfectly okay because most couples are the same way. However, if you’re planning on spending the rest of your life with your partner, and you’re also planning to become a parent one day, then you need to make sure that those two goals line up. Even if your man tells you that he wants children, it doesn’t mean that he’s going to be the greatest father.
Although there’s no certain way of telling how any one of us will be as a parent, there are a few tell-tale signs that translate to the skills one needs to be a parent – specifically, a great one. You don’t need to be ready for kids yet to know he’ll be a great dad. Here are all the ways you can tell he will make a wonderful father in addition to a wonderful boyfriend or husband.
Signs Your Man Will Be A Great Father
1. He Pays Full Attention – According to some studies, giving attention is one sign of being a good father. It means that your man can devote necessary quality time with his children without being easily distracted.
2. Keeping Promises – It can be hard to keep some of the promises you make in today’s fast-pace world. But, one characteristic of a man who is sure to make a good father is a man who always sticks to his word.
3. He’s Patient – Before a child can express themselves in an easy-to-understand way, it can be difficult to decipher what it is they need. A good father won’t lose his cool when his kid starts crying in the middle of the night or throws a tantrum inside the store.
4. He’s Open-Minded – When you child grows up and begins to make their own personal life choices, he needs to be open-minded enough to let them live authentically. An open-minded man will likely love their child unconditionally – even if they don’t turn out exactly the way they may have wanted.
5. In Touch With His Inner Dork – If your man can be a goofball and nerd out about a variety of different topics, that’s probably a sign that he’ll be able to get into (and maybe even debate) kid-centric shows and films.
6. Hard To Gross Out – If your man isn’t easily grossed out then he will probably do alright as a father. Daddyhood is not for the faint of heart, or stomach. Any man who can calmly wipe radioactive-green projectile poo from his cheek and go right along with singing “The Wheels on the Bus” is probably in pretty good shape.
7. Values Work-Life Balance – When push comes to shove, you’re likely gonna want a guy who can tear himself away from his email long enough to read his kids a bedtime story. Good fathers are able to separate their work life from their family time.
8. He Can De-Escalate Conflict – Men who are able to De-escalate conflicts often make good fathers because they’ll likely remain calm and cool when the kids go bonkers. You can usually see this sign if your man is good at calming you down whenever you’re upset or freaking out about something.
Common Questions and Answers
There are lots of different questions that might come to mind when trying to determine if your boyfriend will be a great father or not. We’ve gathered some of the most common questions from around the web and answered them for you in more detail below. This should help answer some of the more specific questions you might have!
How do you know if a man will make a great father?
There are several ways to know if a man will make a great father. First, he needs to be patient and stable. Your children need to know that he will always be there for them. Secondly, He needs to know how to work as a team because it’s extremely important when raising children. If he already loves kids and kids already love him, that’s a very positive sign as well!
What kind of man makes a good father?
Good dads are all around us. They’re the ones who will go above and beyond for their families and are considerate of how other people feel or what they might need. Good fathers take initiative, and won’t give up even if something doesn’t work out on the first try. They’re involved in family and regularly show gratitude. Most importantly, a good father will love you with everything they have – even if it’s the smallest gesture like changing a diaper in the middle of the night.
What is the best age for a man to become a father?
From a biological standpoint, experts recommend a man is best suited to fatherhood from his late 20s to early 30s. It’s still possible for men to father a child in their 50s and older. According to the Guinness World Records, the oldest man to father a child was 92 years old at the time of the birth.
So, how many of these does your boyfriend or husband fit into? After reviewing these eight characteristics of a good father you probably have some idea about how good (or bad) your man would be. If you haven’t already, consider sitting down and discussing the topic with him. Ask what types of values he wants his children to have and how he would like to raise them. You might agree with his answers or they might stun you. Either way, it’ll give you a better picture on what to expect should the two of you reach that stage in your relationship!