According to marriage experts, connecting with your partner for a few minutes before heading out the door could help lead to a happier relationship. Mornings can feel frantic with everyone trying to get out of bed, cleaned up, and out the door on schedule. Still, even if it’s just for a few minutes, connect with your partner before the chaos of the day sets in and you’ll notice a big difference in your relationship.
Here’s what the happiest couples do when they start a new day.
1. They give a quick smile while talking to their partner – Mornings can be a hectic time for most people, but it’s important to be able to at least smile at your partner. Even when trying to get ready and out the door, many happy couples find it natural to give a quick smile when interacting with their partner.
2. They give each other a hug – According to one happy woman, my husband leaves for work before I can even imagine getting up and being a fully functional human being. So every morning after he’s gotten ready, he climbs back in bed and pulls me in close. And that five minutes, being close to one another, breath by breath, it’s the best way to start our day.
3. They always make eye contact – According to a happy couple, we brush our teeth together. For those few minutes, we look into each other’s eyes. We touch each other, a hand on the waist, hand on the cheek, head on the chest.
4. They enjoy their breakfast together – A happy man told us, me and my wife have breakfast together sitting on the front porch, side by side on the love seat. Even if it’s just for 15 minutes, we have our coffee and talk about plans for the day and watch the birds.
5. They kiss before leaving – It so important to us that we always show affection before one of us leaves. According to a happy wife, Usually, he leaves for work an hour before I wake up so he always says goodbye with a kiss on my head. It’s not about me needing the affection but more so knowing he is thinking of me before he heads to work.