Cheating is definitely one quick, big way to absolutely annihilate a relationship, but as a recent Ask Reddit thread pointed out, there are plenty of other things that are much more potent when it comes to ruining even the strongest of bonds. Some of the worst things that lead to a breakup (which aren’t cheating) start out small and indiscernible, and that’s what makes them so dangerous. Toxic relationships can cause monumental breakage to people, families and workplaces. Love send us to joyous, lofty heights that we never want to come down from, but the same heart that can send us into a loved-up euphoria can trip us up and have us falling into something more toxic. The hot pursuit of love can be blinding. Even worse, sometimes it’s not until you’re two kids and a mortgage into the relationship, that you realize something has been missing for a while, and it’s you.
Cheating Isn’t the Only Problem
Deception is a toxic trait. It’s a negative blob of energy that infiltrates the lives of everyone involved. However, cheating isn’t the only problem. There are several other aspects of a relationship that can be toxic. And since there is so much attention on other things, people can overlook these other poisonous traits. That is something that you should never want for yourself (or your partner) in a relationship. With that in mind, you need to police yourself from time to time. Sure, you may have good intentions with your partner. But, you might be blinded to the many ways in which you are toxic. And if you leave these behaviors unaddressed, it could be the downfall of your relationship. Always make an effort to be mindful of the way you conduct yourself in your relationship.
Below is a list of six toxic things in a relationship that are just as bad as cheating.
Toxic Things That Can Be Worse Than Cheating
1. Withholding Affection – Whether to you, affection means pouring your heart out, asking intense questions about deeply meaningful things, or helping each other through difficult times, not being affectionate in any kind of way can cause the kind of doubts in a relationship that are not fixable in the end.
2. Lack Of Communication – This doesn’t mean you have to be messaging your partner 24/7, but failing to talk about things that bother you when they arise or conveniently withholding details that you think could cause problems. All that negativity just gets bottled up, and when it is eventually revealed, it is usually unmanageable.
3. Lying – The act of lying to a romantic partner is often the worst signal of a dying relationship. Lying is not something impulsive and uncontrollable – it is a habit which, in time, becomes part of who you are. Should you find your partner lying to you about little things, be wary. Ask him or her to elaborate on the reasons why they chose to lie to you.
4. Staying In A Relationship Out Of Convenience – Whether it’s because you don’t want to disappoint your family with a failed relationship, or because you cannot afford to pay rent on your own, staying with your partner just because you feel like you have no other choice will lead you to bitter resentment and painful amounts of both fighting and heartache. Ending the relationship might be difficult, but at least there is a chance for you two to at least remain friends afterwards.
5. Holding On To Silent Resentment – There is nothing more toxic than keeping unaddressed anger inside you. Holding on to silent resentment instead of sorting things out with your partner is like drinking poison. What’s worse is that anger slowly rises inside you until one day you become incapable of keeping it bottled up. And that is when all hell breaks loose.
6. Manipulation – This one is complicated because it can be so subtle that you don’t even realize you’re being manipulated by your partner until it’s too late. Manipulation causes a person to gradually lose their self-esteem, which in itself is a crime against a romantic partner.