Solo travel is a great experience, but traveling with someone special is one of the best ways to really get to know them. While road trips with friends can be full of pampering and nights out, sometimes the best vacation is one with your significant other – unplugged from family, friends and work. Traveling is a wonderful way to unwind from your busy day-to-day life and dedicate time to exploring a new place while bonding with your partner.
Gorgeous destinations like Bora Bora are must-visit spots for relaxed beach vacations, where visitors can kiss on the white sandy shores and swim in the turquoise waters without a care in the world. But some cities also have an allure, especially historic locations like Paris, which offer the opportunity to marvel at the beauty of man-made structures. There are many destinations that are celebrated for the romance factor and are continually finding their way onto lists for those looking to set the right mood, and listed below are seven different places that allow couples to get closer, without the distraction of everyday life.
1. Paris – Paris is the city of light and love, and it’s the perfect place to take your partner if you really want to spark some romance. The city is absolutely beautiful and there are plenty of historic sites to explore, streets to walk, and pastries to eat, while in the French capital. According to an article in Travel + Leisure in 2018, Paris had “top marks for romance” in the most recent World’s Best Awards survey because there are so many activities for couples to do.
2. The Maldives – There are few places as gorgeous as the Maldives, with its white sandy shores, coral islands and warm turquoise water, which makes it the perfect spot for a romantic vacation or honeymoon. The Maldives is a popular destination for travel, and according to Lonely Planet, every resort has its own private beach, and there are more than 100 to choose from. This seems to suggest more privacy for travelers, but Visit Maldives also points out that a trip like this is a great way for couples to spend quality time together, away from the distractions at home.
3. Aspen – Aspen is a ski resort in Colorado’s Rocky Mountains, and what could possibly be more romantic than a trip with your partner to a ski resort? When you come inside from the cold, you can enjoy coco with your loved one, watch the fires flicker, and whisper sweet nothings in their ear. Depending what time of the year you visit, there are plenty of other things to do besides just skiing and snowboarding. Trip Savvy says other romantic activities including hot air balloon rides, horseback riding and even paragliding off Aspen Mountain are also available around town.
4. Bali – If a romantic beach trip is what you’re after, then Bali is an island you must visit. The Indonesian island has become a popular tourist location for people who want to relax on the beaches or enjoy a yoga or meditation retreat, but it’s also a fantastic place for romance. E-Dreams even rates Bali as the perfect place for a unique wedding proposal, and it seems to happen there often – I even recently saw a girl on my Instagram feed get engaged there.
5. Venice – Venice is another destination commonly associated with romance. The capital of northern Italy’s Veneto region is beautiful and built over hundreds of small islands, which means there are miles of canals to explore via gondola. But there are also fantastic restaurants, architecture, and museums, Trip Savvy notes. And despite the many tourists that visit, Venice can create romantic memories. In fact, it was named by National Geographic as one of the world’s most romantic destinations.
6. Bora Bora – According to Travel US News, the French Polynesian island of Bora Bora is one of the most romantic destinations in the world. And it’s hard to argue with this statement because it is a destination for those who want beauty, romance, and beaches. It’s also filled with colorful coral reefs, deep blue water, and is a fantastic spot for scuba diving together. According to Tahiti, it’s an “internationally acclaimed honeymoon destination” because couples feel as though they’ve escaped from the drone of everyday life to enjoy true luxury.
7. Kauai – Couples that love the outdoors should add Kauai to their list of must-visit places. Kauai is an island that’s part of the Hawaii archipelago. It features dramatic cliffs, sandy beach shores, and stunning hiking spots. If you’re a nature lover and want to spend time in the great outdoors, then this may be the place to visit, and according to Huffington Post, it’s one of the most beautiful places on Earth not only for the landscape but also the charm of the destination. The publication claims that Kauai has a “small town charm” and despite a considerable number of tourists each year, it’s maintained a sleepy town feel.