Think about the sweetest part of any romantic comedy film. Everyone’s favorite moment in those movies is when the tension finally comes to a head and the two leads fall into each other’s arms and start making out. Is there anything more fun and exciting than locking lips with the man or woman you love? The answer, of course, is no. Kissing someone you love is romantic, passionate, sweet, sexy, and just all-around enjoyable. Best of all, smooching is good for both your mental state and overall health. From relieving stress, making your bond stronger and boosting your immune system, kissing has plenty of benefits to improve your overall well-being. Continue reading to learn more about the fascinating health benefits of kissing!
Reasons Why You Should Kiss More Often
1. It Boosts Your Immune System – Science has taught us that human mouths have hundreds of different types of bacteria in them, but everyone has slightly different microbes in their mouths. When we kiss, we swap good bacteria, which can boost our immune systems. You and your partner will end up sharing protection against many of the same illnesses.
2. It Can Reduce Blood Pressure – CNN reports that kissing can actually lower your blood pressure. How? Well, when you kiss passionately, it gets your heartbeat going faster, which dilates your blood vessels. Once your blood vessels are dilated, the blood can flow more easily to your organs.
3. It Helps Your Bond With Your Partner – Oxytocin is a chemical that’s been linked to relationship bonding. The rush of oxytocin released when you kiss your partner causes feelings of affection and attachment. Kissing your partner can improve relationship satisfaction and may be especially important in long-term relationships.
4. It’s Good For Your Teeth – When you lock lips with someone, you start producing more saliva — as you do anytime you move your mouth more (such as when you eat). The extra saliva you secrete when kissing can actually help wash away cavity-causing plaque on your teeth.
5. It Tightens Facial Muscles – You might not realize this, but when you kiss, you’re working a variety of smaller muscles within your face. Kissing can tighten these muscles and might even make you look younger. Although it’s not quite the same as getting a facelift, kissing can help keep your jawline and neck stay tight!
6. It Can Improve Feelings Of Self-Worth – Kissing will reduce your cortisol levels which could potentially improve your feelings of self-worth. In fact, researchers in one 2016 study found that participants who were unhappy with their physical appearance had higher cortisol levels. Although more research is still needed, experiencing a temporary drop in cortisol each time you kiss your partner isn’t a bad way to pass the time.
7. It Helps Reduce Pain – Throughout your heated kissing session, your body will release adrenaline which is believed to reduce the feeling of pain. Curious if this works? Try locking lips with your partner next time you have a terrible ache anywhere in your body and see for yourself!
8. It Can Help Your Skin – Kissing your partner can give you that youth-like glow, and it’s not just because you’re blushing from a steamy make out session. Kissing will increase blood flow to the face (partially because it’s working a number of muscles), and that blood flow can stimulate the production of collagen and elastin, two skin-nourishing proteins collagen and elastin.